Commercial Building - New & Addition
This guideline has been developed to assist you in building a commercial building or an addition to a commercial building. Prior to construction, a permit must be obtained from the City of Wheaton Building Department. Provided below is information that addresses what needs to be submitted to the City, pertinent building codes, permit fees and required inspections. These guidelines are by no means all-inclusive, but they do identify the most critical requirements that are involved in this type of project. Please review this information and contact the City of Wheaton Building Department with questions.
Required Submittals - Building Department
The following documents need to be submitted to initiate a review of your project:
- Building Application for Permit -
Provide a Building Application for Permit that includes: site address, description of work, contractor(s), the total cost of work, permit applicant contact information, etc. If contractors have not yet been determined, note “TBD” (to be determined) next to each applicable contractor for the project. Prior to permit issuance, the list of contractors and cost of work breakdown will need to be submitted.
- Contractor Registration - Please see Contractor Registration Guidelines
- Construction Building Plans
Provide six (6) sets of construction building plans (2 sets signed & sealed; 4 sets unsealed). Plans must depict the full scope of work.
- Project Manual (Specs)
Provide one (1) signed & sealed project manual.
- Structural Calculations
Provide one (1) signed & sealed set of Structural Calculations.
- Soil Report
Provide one (1) signed & sealed Soil Report.
- COMCHECK (Envelope, Lighting, and Mechanical)
Provide one (1) original signed and sealed Envelope, Lighting and Mechanical Comcheck at time of permit submittal. When preparing each Comcheck, the Assembly Components evaluated must be clearly identified because default values may not be applicable. The most current accepted versions for “NEW ADDITION/COMMERCIAL” are the 90.1 (2013) Standard and the 2015 IECC. NOTE: Section 1 on Comcheck must be fully completed: Construction Site - complete address; Owner/Tenant - complete name, address and phone number of the Owner or Tenant; and Designer/Contractor -complete name, address and phone number of either Designer or Contractor. Also, the appropriate boxes pertaining to the specific project must be “√” marked and the item(s) must be shown/referenced on the five (5) sets of construction building plans; any item(s) that does not apply must be marked as “N/A” (Not Applicable) next to each box in writing. The Compliance Statement for each Comcheck must be signed and sealed by a licensed professional (i.e., professional engineer, engineer, architect, etc.).
- New Commercial Building Code Analysis (Only for New Commercial Buildings)
Provide a New Commercial Building Code Analysis sheet for all New Commercial Buildings. Questions regarding building plan submittal should be directed to the Commercial Plan Reviewer at 630-260-2048.
- DuPage County Impact Fee Receipt (Only for New Commercial Buildings)
The Impact Fee Receipt must be submitted at the time of permit issuance. Questions regarding obtaining the Impact Fee Receipt should be directed to the DuPage County Impact Fee Coordinator at 630-407-6674.
- Wheaton Sanitary District or DuPage County Sanitary Permit
Proof of notification to be submitted prior to permit issuance. Questions regarding obtaining the permit should be directed to the appropriate district servicing the address in for permit. Wheaton Sanitary District at 630-668-1515. DuPage County Sanitary 630-407-6800.
- Sewer Permit
The sanitary sewer system in Wheaton drains to and is serviced by the Wheaton Sanitary District or DuPage County, see attached map to determine which agency you will need to contact to obtain a sewer permit from them. Each agency has its own submittal requirements available on their web page, once approved please provide a copy of permit, or copy of email if "no permit required" from Wheaton Sanitary District, to the Wheaton Building Department.
Wheaton Sanitary District: 1 S 649 Shaffner Rd. Wheaton, Il 60189, 630-668-1515, e-mail completed application to email@example.com
DuPage County - Public Works Department: 421 N. County Farm Rd. Wheaton, Illinois 60187, 630-407-6800, Fax 630-407-6701, firstname.lastname@example.org
Addition to a single-family dwelling, less than 800 sq. ft. does not require a sewer permit.
Required Submittals - Engineering Department
- Utility Permit Application (If Applicable) - Provide an Engineering Application for Permit for all New Commercial Buildings, identifying the contractor that will be installing the Sewer & Water services. For Commercial Additions, a Utility Permit application is only required if additional water service fixtures are to be added and the Water Division determines that a service upgrade is necessary. If the contractor is unknown at the time of submittal, the applicant can note “TBD” (to be determined). An IEPA permit may be required for the sanitary service and/or water extension
- Curb, Drive Approach and Public Walk Permit Application - Provide a Curb, Drive Approach and Public Walk Application for all New Commercial Buildings identifying the Concrete/Asphalt contractor(s) that will be installing the parking lot, drive approaches, etc. For Commercial Additions, submittal of the Curb, Drive Approach and Public Walk Permit application is only required if such Concrete/Asphalt work is deemed necessary.
- DuPage County Stormwater Management Permit Application - Provide a Stormwater Management Application for all New Commercial Buildings. For Commercial Additions, a Stormwater Management application will only be required if the area disturbed is more than 5,000 square feet or affects Special Management Areas.
- Site Development Drawings/Plans/Calculations and Associated Documents - Provide six (6) Site Development Drawings that depict the full scope of work, see Grading Plan Requirements Type III, Subdivisions, Business, Industrial, Office, Institutional, Commercial Developments – Stormwater Management Plan Requirements. NPDES/IEPA permit is required for all sites over one-acre.
- Water Service Line - Sizing - Provide a Water Service Line - Sizing document for all New Commercial Buildings identifying the number and commercial load values of the “New and/or Proposed” water service fixtures. For Commercial Additions, if adding additional water service fixtures, submittal of a Water Service Fixture document will be required identifying the number and the commercial load values of the “Existing” water service fixtures, as well as the number and commercial load values of the “New and/or Proposed” water service fixtures. Questions regarding Commercial Load Value calculations should be directed to the Water Division at 630-260-2090.
See Codes and Design Criteria to determine what codes, laws and/or regulations may be applicable to your project.
The Building Inspections listed below are required for all new commercial buildings and additions. Additional inspections may be needed based upon the scope of work. If additional inspections are required, they will be identified at the time of permit issuance.
To schedule an inspection
Please call 630-260-2050 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Plumbing inspections are available on Tuesday or Thursday only. Please allow for a minimum of 24 hours notice when scheduling inspections. Inspections must be scheduled no later than 3:00 p.m. the day before the desired inspection date. Inspection Scheduling Guideline.
Note: The list referenced-above DOES NOT include Engineering, Fire or Water Division inspections. Please contact the appropriate department(s) for their inspection requirements.
Significant Codes - Zoning
See City of Wheaton Zoning Ordinance
For associated Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - Building Fee Schedule.
Plan Review Fees:
At the discretion of the City of Wheaton Building Department Director, plans can be sent to a third party code review agency. This determination will be made only after the plans have been received and reviewed. Review fees would be forwarded to the permit applicant and paid at the time of permit issuance.
Demolition and Construction Site Regulations
For job site regulations such as hours of work, safety fencing, parking of construction vehicles and similar see guideline titled Demolition and Construction Regulations.
- www.wheaton.il.us - City of Wheaton
- www.iccsafe.org - International Building Codes
- www.idph.state.il.us - Illinois Plumbing Code information
Other Governmental Agencies
Prior to permit issuance permits may be required from outside government agencies including, but not limited too:
- DuPage County Department of Developmental Concerns
- Illinois Department of Transportation
- DuPage County Department of Transportation
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Submittal Questions - 630-260-2050
- Inspection Scheduling - 630-260-2050
- Building Code Questions - 630-260-2048
- Zoning Code Questions - 630-260-2008
- Engineering Code Questions - 630-260-2868
- Fax - 630-260-2195 (contractor registrations, certificates of insurance & bonds)
Business hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm