Utility Easement (Approval to Build Within)
The City of Wheaton utility easement provisions prohibits accessory structures (sheds, garages, and pools) within public utility easements unless permission has been requested and granted from each respective company (AT&T, Comcast, ComEd, and Nicor) as well as subsequent approval by the City of Wheaton Zoning &Building Departments.
It is the responsibility of the owner to confirm what the submittal requirements are for each respective utility company; typical requirements include:
- Letter from property owner requesting permission to construct within the utility easement, describing the proposed construction;
- Plat of survey of subject property showing the size and location of the proposed construction; and
- Legal description of property, which is usually on the plat of survey.
The utilities may send out a representative to inspect the site and then respond back to you in writing within three to four weeks. Each utility company will determine if it is in the best interest of the public to allow the construction and their approval or denial is typically provided in writing. Listed below are the addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail information, if applicable, of each utility company for your use.
**Please contact the City of Wheaton, Building Department, should any of the information below be inaccurate.
- Contact: Easement Encroachment Department - Jacalyn Frost
- Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 779-230-6095
- Address: 262 N. Ottawa, Joliet, IL 60432
- Contact: Ted Wyman
- Phone: 224-229-5850
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 688 Industrial Drive, Elmhurst, IL 60126
- Contact: Russell Dillon
- Phone: 630-437-2463
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Three Lincoln Centre, Real Estate Department, 4th Floor, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
- Contact: Real Estate Agent - Kim Augustine
- Phone: 630-388-2976
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: P.O. Box 190, Aurora, IL 60507
Once approval letters are received from all of the Utility Companies listed above, please submit one (1) copy of each letter to the Wheaton Building Department along with a permit application and any additional required documents relating to your specific project.
The Zoning and Building departments typically perform additional plan reviews of the proposed construction. Permit Processors will issue the permit once all approvals have been received. Information on obtaining a permit to construct an accessory structure can be found at www.wheaton.il.us.
Prior to any excavations or digging, a call must be placed to the Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators (J.U.L.I.E) at 1-800-892-0123 or 811 at least 48 hours prior to any digging. Member companies will locate the underground utilities to help avoid damage while excavation, J.U.L.I.E will contact the City of Wheaton Water Division to locate their water and sewer main.
Questions may be directed to the Building & Code Enforcement Department at 630-260-2050 during normal business hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.