Ponds & Waterfalls
The installation of ponds/waterfalls within the City of Wheaton requires a permit issued by the Building and Code Enforcement Department. Additional items that are associated with ponds/waterfalls, such as electrical service lines, electrical lines to pumps and/or heaters or light fixtures and gas lines to heaters also require permits.
Note: If the depth of the pond is capable of holding twenty-four (24) inches or more of water or has an area of eighteen (18) square feet or greater, the pond is governed by the in-ground pool regulations. Refer to the Pools, Hot Tubs and Spas guideline for additional information regarding fences, gates, barriers, etc.
- Application for Permit
- Plat of Survey
- Contractor Requirements
- Grading Plan Requirements - Type I
- Building Application for PermitProvide an Building Application for Permit that has been filled out and include all required information that is pertinent to the proposed scope of work such as; site address, description of work, contractors to be used on the job and their respective costs per trade, total cost of work to be performed, complete applicant contact information, etc.
- Plat of SurveyIf the waterfall/pond is an above-ground fiberglass unit, please provide two (2) copies of the legal plat of survey or Grading Plan marked to identify the following:
- Location and dimensions of the pond/waterfall;
- Dimensions from the side and rear property lines to the pond/waterfall;
- Identify location of electrical outlets and overhead or underground electrical service line.
- Installation ManualProvide a copy of the installation manual for the pond/waterfall equipment including filters, pumps, heaters, lights.
- Contractor RequirementsContractors are required to be registered per City of Wheaton requirements. General and electrical contractors can refer to the document titled Contractor Requirements.
- Plan of Pond/WaterfallProvide a plan and cross-section of the in-ground pond/waterfall that depicts pond/waterfall construction, electrical grounding, and bonding methods and a plumbing riser diagram. Indicate the location, type, size and burial depth of the electrical and/or gas line supplying the pond/waterfall.
See Codes & Design Criteria that will identify codes that may be applicable to your construction project.
Significant Codes - Zoning
The pond shall not be located within any easement. The Plat of Survey or Type I Grading Plan shall include the location of all easements.
Maintenance of Ponds/Waterfalls
Ponds shall be maintained so as not to become a nuisance such as brackish water, odors, mosquito infestation or similar.
This guideline includes basic requirements. Refer to the International Residential Code for additional requirements.
For associated Planning, Engineering and Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - "Community Development Fees".
For associated Sewer and Water fees, please refer to Appendix B8 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - "Public Works/Sewer & Water Fees".
To schedule an inspection, please call 630-260-2050 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Plumbing inspections are available on Tuesday or Thursday only. Please allow for a minimum of 24 hours notice when scheduling inspections. Plumbing inspections must be scheduled no later than 3:30 p.m. the day before the desired inspection date.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Inspection Scheduling: 630-260-2050
- Planning & Zoning Department: 630-260-2080
- Fax: 630-260-2195
Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.