A permit is required to install an awning on any commercial building. Submit the documents listed below for City approval based on workload when submitted. The information provided will assist you with design and installation. These guidelines are by no means all-inclusive but they do identify the most critical requirements that are involved in this type of project. Please review this information and call us with any questions that you may have.
Associated Handouts & Applications
1) Application for Permit
2) Wheaton Zoning Ordinance 23.7.4
(Awning & Canopy Signs)
The following documents, forms, and/or permits shall be submitted prior to the plan review. Forms are available on the Building and Code Enforcement website and can be accessed throughout this document by following the appropriate link.
- Permit Application
When filling out an application for the permit, include all required information that is pertinent to the proposed scope of work such as site address, description of work, contractors to be used on the job and their respective costs per trade, a total cost of work to be performed, complete applicant contact information, etc. Please refer to the document titled Building Application for Permit.
- Plans and elevation indicating
- Dimensions of awnings;
- Height above walk and;
- Method of attachment (fasteners) to the building.
Provide the manufacturer specification sheet that depicts the color and material.
Provide a plan of any letter and logos on awning including dimensions.
- If electric lighting is within the awning, provide:
- Name and address of electrician;
- Complete City of Wheaton Contractor Requirements form;
- Copy of electrician’s license.
- Landlord Approval:
Provide a letter from the building manager or landlord approving the awning installation and design on the building.
The City of Wheaton has by ordinance adopted the following Building Codes for all commercial construction within the City of Wheaton or has been adopted by the State of Illinois:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
Significant Zoning Code Requirements
Letters or logo painted or otherwise affixed to any permissible awning or canopy is subject to the following regulations:
- Letters or logo shall not project above, below or beyond the physical dimensions of the awning or canopy.
- Letters or logo shall not be larger from top to bottom than twelve (12) inches provided, however, in the C-5 Zoning District letters or logos on awnings shall not exceed 1.5 square feet for every linear foot of wall frontage when such letters or logos are the only signage existing on the exterior of the establishment.
- Letter or logo shall donate only the name and address of the business conducted on the premises and/or a product or products produced or sold or services rendered herein.
- Awning or canopy sign shall maintain a free clearance to a grade of at least seven (7) feet.
For associated Planning, Engineering and Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule entitled "Community Development Fees".
A final inspection is required for any awning on a commercial building. Please call 630-260-2050 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Allow a minimum of 24 hours notice when scheduling an inspection.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Inspection Scheduling - 630-260-2050
- Planning & Zoning Department - 630-260-2080
- Fax - 630-260-2195
Business hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.