Joining the Wheaton Police Department through the Lateral/Accelerated Process
Candidates who are currently employed as Police Officers can easily apply for a position with the Wheaton Police Department by entering our Lateral/Accelerated Process. The Lateral Application Packet provides details on the process including instructions on how to apply and the documents required in order to be considered.
Salary and Benefits for Lateral Officers
Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, candidates may negotiate their starting salary as well as paid time off. Information regarding our salary schedule and time off allowances can be found in the current MAP 699 contract. Additionally, the City of Wheaton offers a robust, comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive insurance coverage and premiums. You can read more about the City of Wheaton’s Benefit Package by viewing the Benefits Package webpage.
Why Join the Wheaton Police Department?
The Wheaton Police Department is an agency whose professional environment is second to none. In addition to the competitive pay and benefits listed above, we are a progressive department that awards assignments and career development opportunities based on skills, attitude, and aptitude. Not only does this increase the frequency of opportunities for our officers, but it fosters job satisfaction, helping them to achieve their professional goals for a long and fulfilling career.
The Wheaton Police Department at a Glance:
Positions and Opportunities
- 67 Sworn Officers
- 8 Detectives
- 2 School Resource Officers
- 4 Traffic Officers
- 7 Sergeants
- 3 Lieutenants
- 1 State of Illinois Drug Taskforce Officer
- 1 Training Officer
- 1 Community Relations Officer
- DuPage MERIT positions including SWAT, Major Crimes, Computer Forensics, Crash Investigation, Forensics, Public Integrity
- ILEAS Mobile Field Force positions
- ILEAS WMD SWAT positions
- Officer specializations including juvenile, evidence technician, crash investigation, ALICE, crisis intervention, supervision, and others
Daily Department Operations
- Twelve (12) hour shifts divided over four teams:
- A.M. Teams 1 & 2: 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- P.M. Teams 1 & 2: 7:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.
- On-duty fitness initiative which allows officers up to 45 minutes a day to work out in one of our two gyms. This benefit is in addition to lunch and other authorized breaks.
- Quarterly team training day
- Annual bids for teams
Ready to Apply?
Candidates must submit a completed application and other required documents detailed in the Lateral Candidate packet above. Packets can also be picked up at the Wheaton Police Department or City Hall. Once completed, these packets must be turned in either in-person or by certified mail to the Human Resources Department at City Hall. No electronic submissions will be allowed. Applications are accepted year-round and candidates are eligible for appointment for up to two years following their successful passing of an oral interview with the Wheaton Board of Fire and Police Commissioners.
For additional information on the Wheaton Police Department, joining us as a lateral candidate or assistance applying, please contact the Human Resources Department.
The City of Wheaton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.