Peddlers & Solicitors Ordinance
In 2019, City Council and City Staff worked together on amendments to the city’s existing Peddlers and Solicitors Ordinance. See below for a summary of the changes or read the full ordinance here: Peddlers & Solicitors Ordinance.
- Commercial solicitation is not allowed in public ways.
- Non-Commercial solicitation is allowed in public ways, however, there are certain intersections that are prohibited due to safety concerns. Please view the list of prohibited locations.
- Public ways shall be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Door to Door Solicitation:
- Commercial solicitors must notify the Wheaton Police Department of their intent to solicit activity in the City of Wheaton. Notification will include name, date of birth, address, dates and hours during which commercial solicitation shall occur, and a statement of affirmation that the solicitor has not been convicted of a felony.
- Non-commercial solicitors do not need to notify the Wheaton Police Department for door-to-door solicitation.
Solicitation by Minors:
- All minors (ages 14+ younger) must be accompanied by a supervising adult (age 21 + older).
- Minors and adults must carry photo identification when soliciting.
Examples of commercial solicitation include but is not limited to roofing companies, storm damage repair companies, and lawn service companies.
Examples of non-commercial solicitation include but is not limited to Girl & Boy Scout Troops, youth sports teams or leagues, youth groups.
Wheaton residents and businesses may post “Solicitors Not Invited” notices on their property.
If any resident/ business has a question about a solicitor within the City of Wheaton, please contact the Police Department at 630-260-2161.