The City of Wheaton is passionate about the people we employ and the community we serve. As an employer of choice, we understand that investing in our employees is a top priority. Whether it be professional growth through training and development to career path planning, working for the City of Wheaton is much more than a job.
Career Paths: Your Future with Wheaton
Made up of four different divisions, the City of Wheaton has employees at each level of specialty. Whether it be at City Hall, Public Works, our Police and Fire Departments, we look for top talent to grow with us and for us to grow with.
See the City's organizational chart (PDF) to see all the positions we currently staff.
The City of Wheaton is proud to provide a competitive benefits package to all full-time employees. From a generous time-off policy that helps employees maintain their work-life balance to a full wellness program that rewards them for putting their health first, when it comes to employee benefits, we cover all bases.
- Health Insurance: The City offers two comprehensive medical plans through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. Whether it be the HMO or PPO, both plans cover qualified medical expenses and give employees access to Blue Cross Blue Shield's Member Rewards Program savings. Each plan also comes with prescription drug coverage administered by Express Scripts.
- Dental Insurance: Unless otherwise stated by a collective bargaining agreement, employees have the choice to participate in a premier dental plan through Delta Dental of Illinois or Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. These plans cover all areas of dental care from routine cleanings to orthodontia for dependents.
- Wellness Program: Administered by Interactive Health, full-time City employees can participate in an annual wellness program to earn a discount towards their monthly premiums. From challenges to biometric screenings, this program has empowered employees to put their health first, earning the City of Wheaton the title of Healthiest Employers in America by Interactive Health.
- FSA and Dependent Care FSA: Two options are available for employees who want to maximize savings on their out-of-pocket medical and dependent care expenses. The City administers optional Flexible Spending and Dependent Care accounts to help employees pay for qualifying expenses incurred through the year.
- Employee Assistance Program: A confidential and complimentary service to help employees navigate through any of life's troubles. Administered through the Standard, the EA.P. connects employees and dependents to professionals in their area of concern 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Financial Security: Full-time City employees participate in a pension savings program, whether administered by IMRF or through their Fire or Police Department. In addition, employees may elect to participate in several 457 Deferred Compensation Plans to assist them with setting aside money for their retirement. Each full-time City employee also participates in a group-term Life and AD&D insurance policy to protect their families and assets after they are gone.
- Paid Time Off: Through a mixture of vacation, personal and sick time, the City of Wheaton offers generous paid-time off benefits to full-time City employees. Additionally, the City recognizes nine holidays throughout the calendar year in which its administrative departments close for observance.
- Supplemental Insurance: The City understands that sometimes employees need additional insurance coverage specific to their needs. Because of that, we administer voluntary benefits through AFLAC that include an array of coverage from Short-Term Disability and Accident Protection to Cancer and Critical Care Plans.
- Tuition Reimbursement Program: The City of Wheaton encourages employees to pursue continued education as a mutual benefit to them as well as the community they serve. Certain restrictions and qualifications apply.