The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) was implemented in 1990 as a voluntary program for recognizing and encouraging community floodplain management activities exceeding the minimum NFIP standards. By participating in the CRS Program municipalities can provide their residents discounts on NFIP insurance premiums.
City of Wheaton’s dedication to a very high standard of flood management garners enough points to enter the CRS Program at a Class 6 effective May 2018 providing 20% discount to flood insurance rates in Floodplains and 10% discount outside Floodplains
To put this achievement into perspective:
- There are over 22,000 communities nationwide that participate in the NFIP.
- Only 1,444 communities participate in the CRS Program
- Only 66 of those communities are in Illinois
- Only 27 of those communities are at class 6 or above
- Only 12 communities are above the City of Wheaton and those are all Class 5!