One of the City's goals through its Strategic Plan is to reduce flooding issues throughout the community. We are committed to assisting property owners in a number of ways, including through free drainage reviews of individual properties, providing information you can use to prevent flooding, shared-cost programs to help property owners protect their property and more. This section contains a significant amount of information on this complex issue, what the City is doing, and what options are available to help homeowners who experience flooding.
Assistance Available to You
- Drainage Reviews: Request a review of your property by the City's engineers
- Yard Flooding Improvement Reimbursement Program: Shared-cost program to reimburse portion of costs incurred to install private storm drain service on your property
- Flood Insurance Rate Map
- National Flood Insurance Program: Wheaton participates in this program and has adopted flood hazard area protection standards. The Engineering Department will provide information upon request to homeowners.
Studies and Maps Specific to Wheaton
- City of Wheaton Flood Prone Areas: The City's Engineering Department has identified the flood prone areas in Wheaton and has completed engineering studies on these areas as part of a comprehensive look at how the City can help reduce flooding in the community.
- Flood Prone Areas Studies Map
Related Information & Resources
- Flooding Prevention Tips
- Stormwater Presentations to City Council
- Sanitary Sewer Backups
- Wheaton Stormwater Management Timeline
- Stormwater Management to Address Pollutants: Wheaton's plan for protecting the environment against pollutants
- Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan: Countywide plan to reduce hazards caused by floods
- Community Rating System: Savings available for flood insurance