Cold Weather Emergency Information
In extreme temperatures, the Wheaton Public Library, 225 North Cross Street, serves as a warming site during its open hours.
The library will be open:
- Thursday, Jan. 31: Noon-9 p.m.
The library plans to resume normal hours on Friday, Feb. 1.
Click Here for a list of other warming locations throughout DuPage County.
In addition, DuPage PADS is providing extended hours through its client services center and local shelter sites to assist residents who are homeless in DuPage County to stay out of the cold. For more information, see the DuPage PADS website.
Due to the extreme cold weather, garbage pickup will be delayed by one day this week, and recycling collection is suspended for the remainder of the week. Thursday routes will be collected on Friday (for garbage ONLY), and Friday routes will be picked up on Saturday (garbage ONLY).
If you place recycling at the curb, it will be collected along with garbage. For more information, see this update.
If you experience any issues with your pick-up, please call Lakeshore Recycling Services at 773.685.8811 or Wheaton City Hall at 630.260.2019.
City of Wheaton offices will be operating as usual on Jan. 29, 30 & 31. While City Hall will be open for business, during these extremely cold conditions, the City encourages you to stay indoors and call City Hall at 630-260-2000 before coming in. Please be safe and postpone trips that do not need to be made during dangerously cold conditions.
Prevent Pipes from Freezing
Make sure to insulate pipes in unheated areas or against outside walls and seal any leaks that may let cold air in. Keep your garage door closed if your water meter is located in that area. Disconnect your garden hose and shut off the water supply to outside faucets. If the temperature gets extremely cold, open cabinet doors under sinks to allow heat to get to pipes and let a faucet drip at a trickle if possible.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recommends the following precautions during very cold weather:
- Stay indoors as much as possible and limit your exposure to the cold;
- Dress in layers and keep dry;
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who are at risk and may need additional assistance;
- Know the symptoms of cold-related health issues such as frostbite and hypothermia and seek medical attention if health conditions are severe;
- Ensure that pets have a warm shelter area with unfrozen water;
- Make sure your vehicle has an emergency kit that includes an ice scraper, blanket and flashlight - and keep the fuel tank above half full.
Power Outage Information
If power outages occur, please contact ComEd at 800-Edison (800-334-7661).
Please see the City's information on snow removal in Wheaton.