Many Wheaton schools will begin the new school year on Wednesday, Aug. 17. As part of the Wheaton Police Department’s back to school safety plan, there will be an increased police presence at all schools to ensure everyone arrives to/from school safely and to enforce safe transportation practices around our schools.
Below are tips to help make this a safe and successful school year.
Back-to-School Safety Tips
- Ensure students know their address and phone number.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Whenever possible, walk or bike with another person.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Limit the use of distracting devices.
- Avoid engaging with or answering questions from strangers.
- If something occurs that makes you feel unsafe, report it immediately to a trusted adult.
- Parents and guardians are encouraged to role play possible situations with students and discuss personal safety and awareness tips.
- Cross using marked crosswalks and where crossing guards are stationed when possible.
- Look before you cross and follow the direction of school crossing guards.
- Always walk on designated sidewalks or paths, never along the side of the road.
- Obey speed limits and school zones.
- Avoid distracted driving.
- Watch for students walking or on bikes.
- Do not pass a stopped school bus.
- Ensure everyone in a vehicle wears their seatbelt.
- Adhere to the directions of crossing guards to ensure the safety of children and drivers.
- Helmets are required for riders ages 14 and younger but are recommended for ALL riders.
- Keep right and ride with traffic.
- Secure your bike with a lock when not in use.
- Know and follow the rules of the road.
When to Stop for School Buses:
- On a two-lane road, vehicles traveling in both directions MUST stop when a school bus is loading/unloading.
- On a road with 4 or more lanes, vehicles traveling in the opposite direction do not have to stop and may proceed with caution. Vehicles traveling in the same direction as a stopped bus MUST stop .
- On a divided highway (where there is an unpaved space at least 5 feet wide, a raised median or physical barrier), vehicles behind the bus MUST stop. Vehicles traveling in the opposite direction may proceed with caution.
The Wheaton Police Department welcomes back all students to school and wishes you a safe and successful school year.