The City’s Parkway Tree Pruning Program is underway for the 2021-2022 season as City crews and the City’s contractor, Winkler’s Tree Service, have started pruning parkway trees in Zone 6 of the Parkway Tree Pruning Program Zone Map. Zone 6 is primarily located south of Roosevelt Road and east of Naperville Road and Blanchard Street and consists of 3,141 parkway trees with trees ranging from 2-inch diameter to 66-inch diameter.
Residents will be notified periodically about pruning in their area and can expect to see City owned and contractor owned bucket trucks and chippers in work areas. Signage will be present to notify residents they are entering an active tree pruning work zone.
For more information or questions, please contact the City of Wheaton Forestry Division at 1-630-260-2122.
Parkway Tree Pruning Program
The City’s Parkway Tree Pruning Program is a program that helps preserve the natural growth habits of the City’s parkway trees, and is also beneficial for the following reasons:
- Helps to maintain a trees shape and appearance
- Eliminates dead or broken branches and limbs that can fall off at any time.
- Reduces tree limbs and branches that occasionally grow too close to utility lines.
- Thins the crown of a tree to improve airflow, which is beneficial.
- Reduces branches that are crossing or rubbing together.
- Allows sun light to penetrate the crown of the tree to promote new growth and strengthen existing limbs.
- Eliminates weak forks in tree stems and reduces the weight on support limbs.
- Reduces the possibility of future damage to the tree by high winds and storms.
- Maintains adequate visibility and vertical clearance for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
The City’s Forestry Division and City contractors prune 1 of 7 zones annually over a 7-year cycle as part of the program. Pruning zones can be found on the Parkway Tree Pruning Program Zone Map. The current 7-year cycle is as follows:
- Zone 1: Fall 2023 to Fall 2024
- Zone 2: Fall 2024 to Fall 2025
- Zone 3: Fall 2025 to Fall 2026
- Zone 4: Fall 2026 to Fall 2027
- Zone 5: Fall 2027 to Fall 2028
- Zone 6: Fall 2021 to Fall 2022
- Zone 7: Fall 2022 to Fall 2023