The City’s Environmental Improvement Commission invites the community to its annual Recycling Extravaganza on April 10, 2021, where you can bring many types of items for safe disposal or recycling. This event is offered with the support of DuPage County and the DuPage County Sheriff's Office, and it is open to all DuPage County residents.
From 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, April 10, this event will be in the Commuter Parking Lot at Carlton Avenue and Liberty Drive. Participants will drive through and drop off their items at various stations. Volunteers will unload items from your car. Masks are required at this event, and we ask that you please place items to be dropped off as far back in your trunk as possible for volunteers to handle.
Items you can drop off include:
- Documents for shredding on-site (up to 4 standard office-sized boxes): Please remove binders, rubber bands, binder clips, page protectors, plastic bags, plastic file tabs, CDs, vinyl checkbook holders, batteries, and other hard items (items are fire hazard for shred truck). No photos, magazines or newspapers. Staples and paper clips do not need to be removed. Boxes will be returned to vehicle(s).
- Electronic recycling: fee applies for TVs and monitors ($25 per TV/monitor with screen smaller than 21" and $35 per TV/monitor with screen 21" or larger. eWorks Electronic Services Inc. will accept cash or credit card payments at the drop-off (no checks), or you can prepay at http://recycling.eworksesi.org.)
- Scrap metal
- Cooking oil
- Textiles (please provide in plastic bags)
- Syringe and epi-pen disposal
- Medicine disposal
- Bikes and bike repair tools
- Eye glasses and hearing aids
- Books (all children's books, hard cover, paperback books, reference, textbooks, coffee table)
- Records - vinyl, 45s, LPs, 33, 78
- Brita filters and pitchers
- Small ink jet cartridges
- Musical instruments
- Sheet music
- Holiday lights
- Latex paint ($2.50 per quart, $5 per gallon, or $18 per 5-gallon can/bucket)
- Aerosol paint cans ($1 per can)
- Large batteries: car, boat, motorcycle, sump pump
- Propane tanks
This event is offered in partnership with the City of Wheaton, the Wheaton Environmental Improvement Commission, SCARCE, the DuPage County Sheriff's Office, DuPage County, Wheaton Lions Club, Working Bikes, Flat Can, and Earth Paints.