The City of Wheaton is in the process of updating building codes to the 2018 editions of the International Code Council, Inc (ICC) and will be adopting local amendments of those building codes appropriate for the City of Wheaton. Adoption of the most recent ICC building code editions with local amendments promotes the health, safety, and welfare of our community.
City Staff is recommending adoption of the 2018 ICC initiated changes which are summarized below:
- Escape windows not required for basement bedrooms in homes with a sprinkler system.
- Basement alterations, without bedrooms, will not require escape/rescue window.
- Battery powered smoke detectors will now be allowed for additions.
- New requirements for carbon monoxide detector installation and connectivity.
- New requirements for emergency elevator communication systems.
- Fire watch required for construction that exceeds 40-feet (and may be considered hazardous) to protect adjacent properties.
- Requirement for exhaust inlet installation at manicure and pedicure stations.
- Requirement for an acceptance test following installation of boilers and pressure vessels.
- Increase in content and clarification regarding Solar Thermal systems.
- Clarified language related to Solar Photovoltaics systems.
- Expansion of Arc Fault Circuit Interpreter protection.
The City is looking for feedback on the proposed amendments from the community by Friday, Dec. 13, 2019. All comments should be emailed to Fire Chief Bill Schultz at firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to Wheaton City Hall: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187.
For questions or more information, please call the City of Wheaton Building Department at 630.260.2050.