Due to a continued increase in COVID-19 positivity rates and hospitalizations in our area, the Governor’s Office announced that Tier 2 level restrictions will begin at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11 for DuPage, Kane, Will and Kankakee counties. These restrictions are in addition to the Tier 1 restrictions already in place. Tier 2 restrictions are being implemented due to a test positivity rate above 8% in our region after more than 14 days of Tier 1 mitigations in place.
New changes under Tier 2 mitigations efforts include:
- Maximum party size of 6 people (reduced from 10 people)
- Meetings/social events and gatherings:
- Maximum indoor or outdoor gathering size of 10 people (reduced from 25 guests/25% capacity).
- This applies to professional, cultural and social group gatherings.
- Organized group and recreational activities:
- Limited to the lesser of 25 guests or 25% overall room capacity both indoors & outdoors
- Groups limited to 10 or fewer people
- Does not apply to fitness centers
These changes do not apply to schools, and the state provides separate guidance for sports.
Tier 1 restrictions remain in place, including no indoor dining/bar service, requiring tables to be 6 feet or more apart, requiring reservations for restaurants offering outdoor dining, and more.
For more information, please see the state’s Tier 2 Resurgence Mitigations.
The City of Wheaton encourages every resident to do your part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community by remembering the 3 W’s when in the presence of people outside your household:
- Wear a mask.
- Watch your distance.
- Wash your hands frequently.
For more resources about COVID-19, visit the Illinois Department of Public Health website.