Special Event Permit

If you are planning an event that takes place on City property, City right-of-ways, or if the event requires vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic control, you must obtain a Special Event Permit from the Wheaton Police Department at least 60 days before the event. Examples of events that require a permit include:

  • Carnivals
  • Circuses
  • Fairs
  • Festivals
  • Fireworks
  • Marches
  • Outdoor concerts
  • Outdoor sales
  • Parades
  • Races


The permit fee is $50.

How to Apply

Please return the completed Special Event Permit Application (PDF) along with any required insurance certificates to:

  • Wheaton Police Department 
  • Attention: Chief of Police                                 
  • 900 W Liberty Drive, Wheaton, IL 60187

Billing for Special Services

Event sponsors may be required to meet with City staff regarding additional City services before submitting an application. During this meeting staff will determine if the City is able to perform any requested or required services and will determine the estimated cost of these services.

You will be billed for Special Services provided by the City at a cost set by the Fee Schedule of the Wheaton Municipal Code. Event organizers must pay 50% of the estimated cost of these services to the City at the time the permit is issued. The balance of the actual cost is due within 30 days of invoicing.


You must obtain certificates of insurance naming the City of Wheaton as a co-insured for all events on City property. The City-established minimum insurance requirement is $1,000,000 for any event on City property. Proof of insurance may be required for events that the City feels pose risk to citizens.

Event organizers are required to follow any and all regulations or restrictions pertaining to the holding of the event.

Route Approval

The Wheaton Police Department must approve the route of any parade, race, march or walk. However, approval by the City of Wheaton does not constitute the approval of any other governmental jurisdiction or any property owner.