The Finance Department collects bill payments for water and sewer service, parking tickets and other bills that residents and businesses pay to the City.
How to Pay Your Bills:
- The City of Wheaton provides several options for the payment of water and sewer bills.
- The City’s free AUTO PAY service allows you to have your water and sewer payment automatically deducted from your checking or savings account on the bill’s due date. Sign up by downloading the AUTO PAY application.
- Water and sewer bill also can be paid through EPAY, the City’s free service that allows you to view and pay your bills online with a credit card or debit card. You can enroll for EPAY online.
- You are not required to use the City’s AUTO PAY or EPAY services. You may send check payments with your bill addressed to City of Wheaton, P.O. Box 727, Wheaton, IL 60187, or you can bring them to the Finance Department at City Hall, 303 W. Wesley St.
- For your convenience, a drop box is available for deposit of water bill payments, parking ticket payments, and other after-hours correspondence. You can drop off your water bill or parking fines by entering the one-way driveway from Wesley Street (just west of Wheaton City Hall) and exiting through the City Hall parking lot. All payments should be made by check only. The white drop box resembles a United States Postal mailbox. Please do not deposit any mail, as the City of Wheaton cannot take responsibility for items intended for the U.S. Post Office.
Water Service Billing
The City of Wheaton has a contract with the DuPage Water Commission to provide water from Lake Michigan to customers in the city of Wheaton. New residents are required to complete a brief application for water service at City Hall upon moving to the City of Wheaton. In addition, renters and commercial property owners may need to submit a water deposit.
2013 Water rates and fees
Rate per 100 c.f. - $3.81
Monthly Service Fee
5/8” x 3/4”
See information about recent water bill changes
Sewer Service Billing
The City of Wheaton is responsible for the maintenance of 171 miles of sanitary sewer and 151 miles of storm sewer. Residents within city limits currently are billed monthly for sewer service charges at the current rate of $1.40 for every 100 cubic feet of water used and a storm water management fee of $0.65 for every 100 cubic feet of water used. The City’s sewer rate covers only the cost of sewer conveyance, not the treatment.
In addition to receiving a bill from the City for water and sewer service, customers will receive a bill from the Wheaton Sanitary District or the DuPage County Public Works Department for sewerage treatment. This is because the City of Wheaton provides water service and sewer conveyance, but the Wheaton Sanitary District and the DuPage County Public Works Department, which are separate governmental agencies, provide sewerage treatment. Most of the City is served by the Wheaton Sanitary District, and the far southeastern portion of the City is served by DuPage County for sewage treatment.
The Finance Department bills all residents and businesses for water and sewer service on a monthly basis. Water and sewer bills are usually mailed on the 15th of every month and are due 25 days from the date of billing.
Late Fees and Shut-Off of Service
After 25 days from the date of billing, a late fee of 5 percent will be assessed against the past due balance on the account. After 35 days, a letter will be sent indicating that water service will be shut off if payment has not been received after 45 days from the date the bill was issued.
Causes of Unusually High Water Use
Occasionally, residents will contact the Finance Department regarding an unusually high water and sewer bill. The most common reasons for unusually high water usage include:
- Leaky sinks and toilets
- Lawn sprinkling and landscape watering
- Water-powered sump pumps and other water-using equipment
For additional questions regarding your water and sewer bill, please contact the Finance Department at 630-260-2024.